Thursday, April 2, 2015
08:30 AM - 09:15 AM
Graph databases, one of several NoSQL technologies, have been very popular in the social networking, and recommendations spaces.
The advent of big data technologies allows us to use these tools in new ways. This presentation introduces another key use-case for this technology that is very powerful for harnessing enterprise metadata, which in large enterprises is often untapped, disconnected, complex and highly varied.
Until now, metadata solutions have largely been relational database-backed, either commercial or hand-rolled. The use of relational technology for complex metadata is ultimately limiting, and provides an opportunity for improvement.
We will discover the unique benefits of graph databases and what makes key metadata use-cases ideal for application of graph technology.
You will learn:
- Graph database basics, and why graphs are well suited for metadata problems
- Where the graphs are; common use-cases within enterprise metadata
- Setting up your first graph, how to extend it and connect graphs together to unleash the power in your metadata
- Methods to query and visualize graphs
- How to deploy within your metadata architecture
Jeremy Posner is Senior Director – Data Strategy and Services at Synechron, and a Data Architect with over 20 years experience mainly within global financial institutions including Morgan Stanley, Deutsche Bank, Merrill Lynch and JP Morgan. He specializes in enterprise data architecture, modelling, tools, standards and metadata. Still a hands-on technician, he strives to apply new practices and technologies to common data problems with a "different and better" mindset.