Monday, March 30, 2015
08:30 AM - 11:45 AM
Big data has presented new challenges in business analytics - end users are requesting real time analytics on ever increasing volumes of data. So what are the technologies that can enable this analysis? For many use cases the solution is storing the data in a columnar format to take advantage of massive compression and extremely efficient analytical processing for analytical queries. We will discuss the challenges of inserting and updating columnar data and how these data stores can pose unique architectural challenges.
You will learn:
- How columnar store features differ from traditional relational features
- How to manage referential integrity and other data constraints
- How these data stores work to improve your performance
- When and why to use these features
- What should a data modeler know about columnar databases
- How to leverage an enterprise data model
- How data modeling tools support these databases/features
Karen Lopez is a Senior Project Manager and Architect at InfoAdvisors. She has 20+ years of experience in project and data management on large, multi-project programs. Karen is a popular speaker known for her highly interactive, practical and sometimes irreverent presentation style. She is a Microsoft SQL Server MVP, She wants you to love your data.
Joseph D'Antoni is a Senior Architect with over a decade of experience working in both Fortune 500 and smaller firms. He is currently Solutions Architect for SQL Server and Big Data for Anexinet in Blue Bell, PA. He is frequent speaker at major tech events, and blogger about all topics technology. He believes that no single platform is the answer to all technology problems. He holds a BS in Computer Information Systems from Louisiana Tech University and an MBA from North Carolina State.